Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The "New Normal"

 
Several months ago, I very innocently posted in a social networking site about how my daughter, Mighty Z, was in a “normal” class room setting.  Based on all of the comments I received, you would have thought that I had said the most offensive word ever.  Normal.  A private message from a friend kindly  told me that the word normal was now viewed as offensive and I needed to use the word “typical” when talking about children who did not have a disease or syndrome.
 
I was shocked! I have been dealing with a child on life support machines for the past 11 years and nobody sent me the memo that I was to be offended by the word “normal.” I called all of my fellow ‘disease friends’ (is that offensive that I have disease friends?) and asked them if they were offended by the word normal. Some hadn’t received the memo either. Some were offended that  there were others who thought hooking your child up to life support machine was normal (because let’s all agree, it is not normal hooking your child up to life support machine).  And yes, some were offended by the word normal, but couldn’t remember when they became offended and why the word “typical” made them feel better about not having a typical/normal kid. Oy va! Now I am confused…should I be offended that my kid is not (gasp) normal? I think I figured that out 11 years ago.  But, because I, too, wanted to be a part of the in-crowd, I tried to be offended by the word normal by looking up the meanings of both words: normal and typical.
 
 
 
Normal means conforming to the standard or the common type. Abnormal means not normal, average, typical, or usual; deviating from a standard. Normal is slowly becoming as offensive as the “R” word (retarded).  Of course we couldn’t call it the “N” word, so what should we call it? The “Nor” word or the “Mal” word?
Typical means conforming to a particular type. Whereas atypical means not typical; deviating from or not conforming to type.
To me, normal and typical mean the same thing. But abnormal and atypical?  That means your child is zigging while everyone else is zagging.
 
So what is so wrong with normal? Does it make Mighty Z less that she does not conform to the standard or to the common type?  Or that she deviates from the standard? No, in fact what Mighty Z is, is an individual person.
 
I have two children, one (Lala) whom could be considered “normal” or “typical,” and one (Mighty Z) who could be considered “abnormal” or “atypical.” One child is on life support and one is not, but both zig while everyone else zags.
 
Maybe we should call ourselves the “new normal,” well, because it sounds so chic.
 
We stick out. Not because one is on a ventilator, but because we are individuals that celebrate not conforming to the standard, or to the common type, and that we do indeed deviate from the typical. We have taken the back streets by zagging…streets never known by simply zigging.
 
 
It is not the normal people who change the people around them, but it is the  abnormal (or should I say the “new normal”) ones who make us see the beauty in the world.






                                      
                                       Words and labels limit meaning, they also limit people.


 
                                    

 
Edited by Linda Kruger
 
 
01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

4 comments:

  1. I don't get it either! However I learned real quick that the kids in Abram's class are typical not normal! Ha TYPICAL is a word I use when I'm frustrated/angry/fed up. Hand in hand with Figures! lol I always tell people Abram's not typical he's a little weird. Apperently your not suppose to use weird either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just stick with the "odd" kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with this post! I'm getting tired of people being so picky over such minor words. I would like to think that the general population is not trying to offend me when it comes to Elliot, they are just talking to me like a "normal" parent. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. Me? I'm not "normal" and never have been. (Don't wish to be.)

    ReplyDelete