Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fear Factor


Fear is something that is hard to navigate around when dealing with this ‘new normal world of special needs,’ especially when doctors are telling you that your little miracle has little to no chance of living.

 

I know that when Mighty Z was born, the doctors had given her less than a year to live at the most, and they, at times,  are still shocked to see her alive, twelve years later. One thing I experienced many times was that doctors do not know what to make out of these very rare diseases. There is literally no handbook or “how to,” so the doctors go through trial and error and speak on the side of  worst case scenario when  talking to the parents of special needs children.

 

However even though Mighty Z has made it to twelve doesn’t mean that fear doesn’t come slinking around or that death doesn’t try to knock on my door. I have, in fact, been dancing with both of these evil fellows for twelve years and still I sometimes wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because fear has managed to slip into my dreams.

 

So what do you do when fear starts lurking around? Well, I will tell you what I do, I jump out of bed and go check on Mighty Z and then I breathe.  I breathe through that fear and I quote Isaiah 41:10 (ESV) “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you.” And I take another breath and let it out, slowly.

 

 

 Sometimes that helps, and sometimes I just stare at her monitors for the rest of the night and pray over her. Is that a healthy way to handle fear? I don't know but it is they only way I can cope . Sometimes that old bedfellow, fear, tries to stay with me and linger on me like smoke. It is hard to shake fear once  it sinks its talons in you…it is even harder to push it away.

 

While sometimes my weeping may last through the night, joy usually comes in the morning. The joy in the morning when Mighty Z opens those big beautiful eyes never gets old. To make it through another night is a mighty miracle in and of itself.

 

I spend the next daypraising Him for my abundant blessings, and for the joy both of my girls bring me -- regardless of what this world throws my way. Sometimes, during those nights when fear slips in and death starts knocking, and I feel that I am just in the middle of a little storm,  I find that I am still praising Him. 

 

 edited by Linda Kruger
01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

No comments:

Post a Comment